The first step in choosing the right Memory Care Facilities in San Mateo, CA is to carefully evaluate the type of services that they render. This is vital in order to know the type of care that will be given to your loved one. The second factor to be considered is the location of the Memory care facility. The facility should be located near the family of the patient. A facility that is located close to the relative of the patient will allow them to visit regularly. Below are some other factors to consider when choosing an Alzheimer’s care facility:
- Safety: The facility should have proper safety measures in the dementia area. Personal monitoring system and emergency call systems should be used. For example, the rooms and bathrooms should have an emergency call system in case of an emergency. Staffs should also ensure that they go to each resident room to check on patients.
- Cleanliness: Memory Care Facilities in San Mateo, CA ensure that residents are well taken care of and that they are clean and well-groomed always. But first, take a tour around the facility and carefully examine the residents. This will help you to determine the level of personal attention and care that they are receiving.
- Staff Attentiveness and Expertise: Dementia patients often exhibit certain behaviors that require special care and attention. A good memory care facility should have well-trained staff to manage their combativeness. A good care provider should be able to understand and care for its patients even in difficult situations.
- Menu Options: The nutritional need of your loved one, as well as his/her preferences, should be considered. The Alzheimer’s care facility should be able to provide the appropriate meals that will suit its residents.
- Planned Schedule: Make enquires about their daily routine. Research has shown that dementia patients do better in a facility where there is a planned schedule.
- Licenses and insurance documents: The facility’s licenses and insurance documents should be accurate and up to date.
The above tips will serve as a guide to you when searching for Memory Care Facilities in San Mateo, CA for your relative. Conclusively, you can also get a recommendation from friends. They will relate their experiences to you on how their family members were handled. However, the final decision is yours to make.